Date : 20 Feb 2022
21st February - International Mother Language DayTags :
Why in News?
- International Mother Language Day is observed worldwide on 21st February every year to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism.
- The Day is part of a broader initiative to promote the preservation and protection of all languages used by people of the world.
- The idea to celebrate International Mother Language Day first came from Bangladesh.
- The general conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) decided to celebrate February 21 as International Mother Language Day in 2000.
- Every year a unique theme is chosen by UNESCO to celebrate this special day.
- The theme of 2022 is: “Using technology for multilingual learning: Challenges and opportunities”, it focuses on potential role of technology to advance multilingual education and support the development of quality teaching and learning for all.