Date : 25 Jan 2022
DELIVERY OF 50-TON BOLLARD PULL TUG “BALBIR” TO NAVAL DOCKYARD MUMBAITags :
Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology and issues relating to intellectual property rights
Why in News?
- Contract for construction of 50Ton Bollard Pull Tugs was concluded with M/s Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Visakhapatnam in February 19.
- The Fourth tug in the series, “Balbir” has been delivered to Naval Dockyard, Mumbai on 24 Jan 22.
- These tugs have been designed and built under the classification rules of Indian Register for Shipping (IRS) with a service life of 20 years and are capable of assisting large naval ships, including Aircraft Carrier and Submarines in berthing, un-berthing, turning and manoeuvering in confined waters and in harbour.
- They also provide afloat firefighting cover/assistance to ships alongside/anchorage and have limited capability for Search and Rescue operations.
- With all major and auxiliary equipment/system sourced from indigenous manufacturers, these tugs are proud flag bearers of “Make in India, Make for the World” initiatives of Ministry of Defence in consonance with “Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
- Tugs “Veeran” and “Balraj” have been inducted on 22 Oct 21 and 31 Dec 21 at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam respectively and “Balram” on 30 Oct 21 at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai.