Date : 20 Jan 2022
Extension of Tenure of the National Commission for Safai KaramcharisTags :
Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
Why in News?
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the extension of the tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK) for three years beyond 31.3.2022.
- The total implication of the extension for three years will be approximately 43.68 crore rupees. The major beneficiaries will be the Safai Karamcharis and identified manual scavengers in the country.
- The number of Manual Scavengers identified under the Manual Scavengers Act Survey is over five lakh eight thousand.
- The NCSK was established in 1993 as per the provisions of the NCSK Act 1993.
- The NCSK has been giving its recommendations to the Government regarding specific programmes for welfare of Safai Karamcharis, study and evaluate the existing welfare programmes for Safai Karamcharis, investigate cases of specific grievances etc.
- Also as per the provisions of the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013, the NCSK has been assigned the work to monitor the implementation of the Act, tender advice for its effective implementation to the Centre and State Governments and enquire into complaints regarding contravention/non-implementation of the provisions of the Act.
- Although manual scavenging has been almost eradicated, sporadic instances do occur.
- Hazardous cleaning of sewer/septic tanks continues to be an area of the highest priority for the Government.
- To achieve the goal of complete mechanization of sewer/septic tanks cleaning in the country and rehabilitation of manual scavengers government is taking such initiatives.