Date : 26 Jan 2022
Fast Track Implementation of Infrastructure ProjectsTags :
Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
Why in News?
- Minister of Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and Textiles, Piyush Goyal reviewed the pace of implementation of infrastructure projects being monitored through the Project Monitoring Group (PMG) portal.
- He emphasized the need to address the issues being faced by implementing agencies on priority to ensure timely completion of projects.
- PMG portal of Invest India is a unique institutional mechanism to facilitate resolution of bottlenecks in infrastructure projects with investments upward of Rs. 500 crores and do milestone-based project monitoring of the same.
- Presently, PMG is monitoring 1,351 under implementation projects with total anticipated investment of approximately INR 48.94 lakh crore.
- Projects of infrastructure ministries such as Road, Transport and Highways; Railways; Petroleum and Natural Gas; New and Renewable Energy; Power; etc are listed on the portal.
- The PMG mechanism allows project proponents to raise issues with concerned government agencies which are causing hindrances in implementation of projects.
- Issues raised on PMG portal pertain primarily to land acquisition (about 40%); grant of right of use/ right of way (25%); and forest, environment and wildlife clearances (14%). In 2021, PMG also incorporated milestone based monitoring of projects.
- Since 01.04.2021, 687 projects with a value of INR 17.9 lakh crore have been brought on PMG for monitoring and timely completion, thereby bringing the total projects enlisted on PMG since inception to 1,726 projects.