Date : 27 Dec 2021
MISSION SAGARTags :
Why in News?
- Indian Naval Ship Kesari entered Port of Maputo, Mozambique on 25 December 2021 under mission SAGAR.
About the Mission
- Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) are being conducted in close coordination with the Ministry of External Affairs, and other agencies of the Government of India.
- Launched on 10 May 2020, Mission Sagar was India’s initiative to deliver Covid-19 related assistance to the countries in the Indian Ocean region.
- As part of this Mission, INS Kesari successively visited Maldives, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros, and Seychelles to deliver assistance to our maritime neighbors in dealing with the Covid crisis.
- India’s humanitarian assistance included supplies of essential food items, medicines, Ayurvedic medicines, and deployment of Medical Assistance Teams (MAT) to Mauritius and Comoros.
- Mission SAGAR is a major milestone in our engagement with the countries in the Indian Ocean Region, in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘SAGAR- Security and Growth for All in the Region’.
Sources: PIB, National Maritime Foundation, Indian Navy