Date : 20 Dec 2021
Mormugao, the second ship of Project 15BTags :
Why in News?
- Mormugao, the second ship of Project 15B of the Indian Navy sails for maiden sea trials on Goa Liberation Day.
- Mormugao is being built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDSL) as part of Project 15B destroyers.
- The ship incorporates several niche indigenous technologies and is a shining example of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- Mormugao will add significantly to the Indian Navy’s combat capabilities.
WHAT IS PROJECT 15B?
- The Visakhapatnam-class destroyers, or P-15 Bravo-class, or simply P-15B, is a class of guided-missile destroyers currently being built for the Indian Navy.
- The Project 15B class of guided-missile destroyers, an improved variant of the Kolkata-class destroyers, are being built by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) for the Indian Navy.
- These ships are amongst the most technologically advanced Guided Missile Destroyers of the world, with state-of-the-art weapon/sensor package, advanced stealth features and a high degree of automation.
Sources: The Hindu.