Date : 13 Jan 2022
National lok adalats settled over one crore cases last yearTags :
Why in News?
- A total number of 1,27,87,329 cases were disposed off in four National Lok Adalats across the country by adopting dynamic preparation strategies during last year, giving relief to the common citizens by ending or preventing long lasting legal battles.
- Number of cases included over 55,000 pending cases, and a record 72,06,212 pre-litigation cases. This feat was achieved after the legal services Authorities adopted the preparatory and mobilization measures.
- A major contribution to this success can be attributed to technological advancements.
- In June 2020, the Legal Services Authorities integrated technology with the conventional modes of dispute settlement and introduced virtual E-Lok Adalats. Since then, all the Lok Adalats are organized through virtual mode.
- To provide an unhindered experience during the proceedings, the Legal Services Authorities across the country are continuously upgrading their digital infrastructure.
- Due to these technological advancements, Lok Adalats have reached to the doorsteps of the parties.
- To deliver speedy disposal of the pending cases, Legal Services Authorities have also shifted to dynamic preparation strategies for organization of the Lok Adalats.
- As a preparatory measure, National Legal Services Authority, NALSA, started organizing prior consultative and review meetings with all the State Legal Services Authorities to guide them towards the maximum disposal during such Lok Adalats.
- Moreover, NALSA has decided to lay more emphasis on the contribution of National Lok Adalat in effectively reducing the number of pending cases through Alternative Dispute Mechanisms.