Date : 01 Jan 2022
‘Padhe Bharat’ CampaignTags :
Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
Why in News?
- Union Education Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched a 100 days reading campaign 'Padhe Bharat' on 1st January 2022.
More about the Campaign
- The launch of 100 Days Reading Campaign is in alignment with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 which emphasises on promotion of joyful reading culture for children.
- Padhe Bharat campaign will focus on children studying in Balvatika to Grade 8.
- The reading campaign will be organised for 14 weeks starting from 1st January 2022 to 10th April 2022.
- This campaign has also been aligned with the vision and goals of foundational Literacy and Numeracy mission.
- The campaign will also focus on Indian languages including mother tongue/local/regional languages.
- It is in this regard, 21st February which is celebrated as International Mother Tongue Day, has also been integrated with this campaign.
- This day will be celebrated with the activity of Kahani Padho Apni Bhasa Main (Reading story in own language) across the country by encouraging children to read in their mother tongue/local language.
- This will help in promoting local language and culture of our society.
Literacy and Numeracy Mission
The Literacy and Numeracy mission is a part NIPUN (National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy) Bharat Scheme lauched by Ministry of Education.
- It aims to cover the learning needs of children in the age group of 3 to 9 years.
- The initiative is under the part of NEP (National Education Policy) 2020.
- Making learners competent in doing meaningful reading and writing by the time they enter grade 3
- Developing the basic understanding and competencies related to numeracy and its related concepts among young learners till grade 2
- Developing skills among the learners to amalgamate their outside school experiences in their classroom learning to attain foundational literacy and numeracy in a better way
Source: ncert.nic.in, pib.gov.in