Date : 14 Jan 2022
Qualification Tests of Cryogenic Engine for Gaganyaan conductedTags :
Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology and issues relating to intellectual property rights
Why in News ?
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted qualification tests of the Cryogenic Engine for Gaganyaan human space programme.
- The ISRO Propulsion Complex in Tamil Nadu conducted the test for 720 seconds duration and met the test objectives. As per ISRO release, the engine parameters were closely matching with the predictions during the entire duration of the test.
- This successful long duration test is a major milestone for the Human Space programme Gaganyaan.
- The successful test has ensured the reliability and robustness of the cryogenic engine for induction into the human rated launch vehicle for Gaganyaan.
- The engine will further undergo four more tests for a cumulative duration of 1810 seconds. Thereafter one more engine will undergo two short duration tests and one long duration test to complete the cryogenic engine qualification for the Gaganyaan programme.
- The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) Mark III launch vehicle to be used for the Gaganyaan programme will use two cryogenic engines.
- This engine developed by ISRO is named as Vikas. The success of Vikas engine signals a great breakthrough in the Indian manned mission to outer space.