Date : 14 Dec 2021
Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo (SMART)Tags :
Why in News?
- India on Monday successfully tested a long-range Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo (SMART) system developed by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
Aim: Enhancing the country's anti-submarine warfare capability
- Launched from Balasore in Odisha.
- The weapon system is being developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy.
- This canister-based missile system consists of advanced technologies - two-stage solid propulsion, electro-mechanical actuators, and precision inertial navigation.
- Canister-based means it is stored and operated from specially designed compartments.
- In the canister, the inside environment is controlled, thus making its transport and storage easier, and improving the shelf life of weapons.
What is Torpedo?
- Torpedoes are self-propelled weapons that travel underwater to hit the target and can be fired from either above or under the water surface.
- This SMART system comprises a mechanism by which the torpedo is launched from an existing supersonic missile system - by making complex modifications in it - which takes the torpedo to a much longer range than its own.
Sources: The Hindu, PIB