Date : 13 Jan 2022
Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2021 – 2022Tags :
Why in News?
- Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar (SVP) 2021–2022 were launched virtually on 11th January 2022.
- In order to create self-motivation and awareness about sanitation the Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar (SVP) was first instituted by the Department of School Education and Literacy, in 2016-17.
- The awards underlined the importance of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Schools as it plays a significant role in determining the health of students, their attendance, dropout rate, and learning outcomes.
- The provision of water, sanitation and hygiene facilities in schools secures a healthy school environment and protects children from illness.
- The Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar recognise, inspire and award the schools who have undertaken exemplary work in the field of water, sanitation and hygiene and also provides a benchmark and roadmap for schools to make further improvements in future.
- The SVP 2021-22 is open to all categories of schools. i.e. Government, Government aided and Private schools in both rural and urban areas.
- The schools will be assessed through an online portal & mobile app in 6 sub-categories:
- Hand Washing with soap,
- Operation and Maintenance,
- Behaviour Change and
- Capacity Building and the newly added category on COVID-19 Preparedness and Response
- The system will generate the overall score and rating automatically.
- The schools have been given sufficient time till March 2022 to apply for the awards so that they can do so at an appropriate and safe time.
- Schools shall be awarded at the District, State and National level based on an internationally recognized five-star rating system.
- Also, every school will get a certificate of participation showing the category-wise scores and overall rating of the school thus, helping in promoting sustainable practices of improved Water, Sanitation & Hygiene in schools.
- At the National level, 40 schools will be selected for awards this year under the overall category.
- The award money for the schools has been enhanced this year from Rs. 50,000/- to Rs. 60,000/- per school, under Samagra Shiksha scheme.
- Also, 6 sub-category wise awards have been introduced for the first time, with award money of Rs. 20,000/- per school.