Date : 13 Dec 2021
Swarnim Vijay ParvTags :
December 16 marks the 50th anniversary of the Indian Armed Forces' victory in the 1971 Indo-Pak War.
- The forces are celebrating the occasion with a grand celebration called the Swarnim Vijay Parv at the India Gate.
On December 3, 1971, Pakistan Air Force (PAF) launched a series of air raids on Indian Air Force (IAF) airbases and radar stations in the Western Sector, primarily in Punjab, Jammu, and Kashmir, Haryana, and Rajasthan.
- The Government of India decided on 3rd December 1971, that India would go to war with Pakistan to save Bengali Muslims and Hindus.
- This war was fought between India and Pakistan for 13 days.
- On 16th December 1971, the chief of the Pakistani forces with 93,000 soldiers had surrendered unconditionally to the allied forces consisting of the Indian Army and Mukti Bahini in Dhaka.
- Mukti Bahini refers to the armed organizations that fought against the Pakistan Army during the Bangladesh Liberation War. It was a guerrilla resistance movement.
- Bangladesh celebrates this day as Independence Day (Bijoy Dibos).
Sources: The Hindu, Times Of India