Date : 21 Apr 2022
The Sixth of the Scorpene-Class Submarine INS Vagsheer launchedTags :
Why in News?
- The sixth and the last of the Scorpene-class submarines of Project-75, INS Vagsheer, was launched in Mumbai on 20th April 2022.
- The submarine has been built by Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited - MDL under the ‘Make in India’ initiative
- The first of the Project - 75 submarines was commissioned into the Navy in December 2017
- Presently, four submarines of the Project-75 Scorpene programme, namely Kalvari, Khanderi, Karanj and Vela have been commissioned into the Indian Navy
- The fifth submarine in the Kalvari-class, started its maiden sea trials on 2 February, 2022. The ship is expected to be commissioned by Q4 2022
- The sixth and the last of the Scorpene-class submarines of Project-75, INS Vagsheer, was launched in Mumbai on 20th April 2022. It will now commence setting to work of various equipment and their harbour trials. The crew will thereafter sail the submarine for the rigorous Sea Acceptance Trials after which the submarine would be delivered to the Indian Navy by late next year.
|Project - 75 submarines||Commissioned on|
|1.||Kalvari||14 December 2017|
|2.||Khanderi||28 September 2019|
|3.||Karanj||10 March 2021|
|4.||Vela||25 November 2021|
|Project - 75 submarines||Status|
|5.||Vagir||Under sea trials phase|
|6.||Vagsheer||Launched on 20th April 2022|