Date : 16 Jan 2022
Use of Chemical Fertilisers will Increase Cancer CasesTags :
Why in News?
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah has said that the use of chemical fertilisers will increase the cancer cases by 50 percent, in next 15 years.
- In a virtual interaction with farmers of Gujarat, he appealed farmers to adopt natural farming. He said, excess use of chemical fertilisers will lead to increased cancer cases.
- He also set a target to encourage 50 per cent of the farmers in his Gandhinagar Lok Sabha constituency to give up chemical fertilisers and take up natural farming.
- Due to excess use of chemical fertilisers, the soil is slowly turning into barren. He said, the poison has started reaching underground sources of water due to excess use of chemicals.
- The current situation is the result of lack of periodic review of agricultural practices which has continued since the Green Revolution.
- The natural farming with the use of dung and urine of Indian cow breeds is the only way to restore the productivity of the soil, Mr Shah added.
- Speaking on this occasion, Governor of Gujarat Acharya Devvrat said, more than two lakh farmers have adopted natural farming and changed farming practices in 2.5 lakh hectares land during the last two years.