Date : 12 Dec 2021
Vertical Launch Short Range Surface To Air Missile (VL-SRSAM)Tags :
Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber
Why in News?
The Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) was designed for Indian Naval warships flight-tested.
What is VL-SRSAM?
- VL-SRSAM has been designed and developed jointly by three facilities of the Defence Research and Development Organisation for the deployment of Indian Naval warships.
- The key DRDO facilities that contributed to the development of the system are Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) and Research Centre Imarat (RCI), both from Hyderabad, and Research & Development Establishment (Engineers) based in Pune.
- The missile has the capability of neutralising various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
- The tactic of sea-skimming is used by various anti-ship missiles and some fighter jets to avoid being detected by the radars onboard warships.
- •The missile has been designed to strike at high-speed airborne targets at the range of 40 to 50 km and an altitude of around 15 km.
- VL-SRSAM is a canisterised system, which means it is stored and operated from specially designed compartments.